Real-world evaluation of safety and effectiveness of ferrous bis-glycinate and its combination in pregnant women with iron deficiency anemia
Keywords:Iron deficiency anemia, Ferrous bisglycinate, Pregnancy, Hemoglobin
Background: Iron deficiency is the most common cause of anemia during pregnancy. It leads to adverse outcomes on maternal and infant morbidity/mortality. There is a reduction in hemoglobin levels due to an increase in iron demand during pregnancy. Many pregnant women have poor or depleted iron stores and the amount of iron from the diet together with mobilized stores from the body is insufficient to meet the maternal demands. To meet iron demands, regular iron supplementation is recommended. Conventional iron supplements report frequent gastrointestinal side effects. Therefore, this study aimed to evaluate the safety, effectiveness, tolerability, and compliance of ferrous bis-glycinate and it’s combination for treating iron deficiency anemia during pregnancy.
Methods: This was a retrospective analysis of data collected from 34 obstetricians and gynecologists across India, on the use of ferrous bis-glycinate and it’s combination as iron supplementation to pregnant women. The clinical records were analyzed for the objective i.e., rise in hemoglobin, safety, tolerability, and compliance.
Results: 374 completed case records forms were considered for the analysis. These pregnant women had taken supplementation with ferrous bis-glycinate and its combination for an average of 58.5 days. The use of ferrous bis-glycinate and it’s combination improved mean hemoglobin concentration from 8.86 gm/dL to 11.27 gm/dL. With respect to safety, 97.6% of pregnant women did not report any adverse events. The remaining 2.4% had mild gastrointestinal side effects. Furthermore, 93% of pregnant women rated the tolerability as very good to good, and >98% of patients complied with >80% of treatment with ferrous bis-glycinate.
Conclusions: This retrospective analysis suggests that ferrous bis-glycinate and it’s combination as iron supplementation in pregnancy is safe, effective, and well-tolerated.
Abu-Ouf NM, Jan MM. The impact of maternal iron deficiency and iron deficiency anemia on child's health. Saudi Med J. 2015;36(2):146-9.
Kaushal S, Priya T, Thakur S, Marwaha P, Kaur H. The aetiology of anaemia among pregnant women in the hill state of Himachal Pradesh in north India: A cross-sectional study. Cureus. 2022;14(1):e21444.
Di Renzo GC, Spano F, Giardina I, Brillo E, Clerici G, Roura LC. Iron deficiency anemia in pregnancy. Womens Health (Lond). 2015;11(6):891-900.
Noronha JA, Khasawneh EA, Seshan V, Ramasubramaniam S, Raman S. Anemia in Pregnancy-Consequences and Challenges: A Review of Literature. J South Asian Feder Obs Gynae 2012;4(1):64-70.
Sun D, McLeod A, Gandhi S, Malinowski AK, Shehata N. Anemia in Pregnancy: A Pragmatic Approach. Obstet Gynecol Surv. 2017;72(12):730-7.
Suryanarayana R, Chandrappa M, Santhuram AN, Prathima S, Sheela SR. Prospective study on prevalence of anemia of pregnant women and its outcome: A community based study. J Family Med Prim Care. 2017;6(4):739-43.
Tandon R, Jain A, Malhotra P. Management of iron deficiency anaemia in pregnancy in India. Indian J Hematol Blood Transfus. 2018;34(2):204-15.
Sharma V, Bajpai A. Study of effectiveness of iron supplements in iron deficiency anemia during pregnancy. Int J Med Res Prof. 2016;2(4):143-6.
Bumrungpert A, Pavadhgul P, Piromsawasdi T, Mozafari MR. Efficacy and safety of ferrous bisglycinate and folinic acid in the control of iron deficiency in pregnant women: A randomized, controlled trial. Nutrients. 2022;14(3):452.
Raut AK, Hiwale KM. Iron Deficiency Anemia in Pregnancy. Cureus. 2022;14(9):e28918.
Abbas A, Abdelbadee SA, Ahmed A, Sayed M. Efficacy of ferrous bis-glycinate versus ferrous glycine sulphate in the treatment of iron deficiency anaemia with pregnancy: a randomized double-blind clinical trial. J Maternal Foetal Neonat Med. 2018.
Milman N. Oral iron prophylaxis in pregnancy: not too little and not too much. J Preg. 2012;2012:514345.
Youssef AM, Shata AF, Kamal HM, El-Saied Y, Ali OF. A comparative study of efficacy, tolerability, and compliance of oral iron preparations for iron deficiency anaemia in pregnant women. Am J Med Med Sci. 2014;4(6):244-9.
Makled AK, Abuelghar W, EI-Shahawy. Amino acid chelated iron versus ferrous fumarate in the treatment of iron deficiency anemia with pregnancy: Randomized controlled trial. Evid Based Women Health J. 2020;10(1):95-103.