A study of feto-maternal outcome in cases of pre-labour rupture of membranes


  • Koothan U. T. Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, RGGW and CH, Puducherry, India
  • Nina V. Kate Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, RGGW and CH, Puducherry, India
  • Anuradha V. Department of Neonatology, RGGW and CH, Puducherry, India




Maternal morbidity, Neonatal morbidity and mortality, Prelabour rupture of membranes


Background: Prelabour rupture of membranes is a common obstetric problem and the assessment of women with possible membrane rupture is a management issue faced in every day practice. The diagnosis and treatment of Prelabour rupture of membranes depends upon the facilities available. Unrecognized and inadequately treated conditions can lead to various maternal and neonatal complications.

Methods: The present prospective study was conducted on 200 pregnant women satisfying the inclusion criteria after getting consent for participation. Pregnant women between the gestational age of 28 – 40 weeks who presented with Prelabour rupture of membranes to casualty were enrolled into the study.

Results: 76.5% of the study participants were between 37-40 weeks of gestation and the remaining 23.5% belonged to the preterm population. Maternal morbidity was found to be 68% among the study participants with latency period more than 24 hrs. 37.5% of the neonates developed morbidity and the neonatal mortality was 2%.

Conclusions: Prelabour rupture of membranes contributes significantly to maternal morbidity, neonatal morbidity and perinatal mortality.


Theron GB. Preterm rupture of membranes. In: Cronje HS, Cilliers JBF, Pretorius MS. Clinical Obstetrics: a Southern African perspective. 3rd Ed. Pretoria. Van Schaik;2011:204-10.

Pernoll ML. Untimely termination of pregnancy. In: Pernoll ML, Benson RC. Current Obstetric and Gynecologic Diagnosis and Treatment. 6th Ed. California: Appleton and Lange;1987:308-10.

Mercer BM. Is there a role for tocolytic therapy during conservative management of preterm premature rupture of the membranes? Clin Obstet Gynecol. 2007;50(2):487-96.

Patil S, Patil V. Maternal and foetal outcome in premature rupture of membranes. IOSR-JDMS. 2014;13(12):56-83.

Cunningham FG, Mac Donald PC, Gant NF, Leveno KJ, Gilstrap LC editors. Williams Obstetrics: Preterm labor, Prelabor ruptures of membranes. 19th edition. California, USA: Appleton and Lange; 1993:361.

Jones G. Prelabour rupture of the membrane. In Luesley D, Baker P, Drife J editors: Obstetrics and Gynaecology-An evidenced based text for MRCOG. London: Hodder Arnold;2004:297.

Gandhi M, Shah F, Panchal C. Obstretic outcome in premature rupture of membrane (prom). Internet Journal Gynecol Obstret. 2012;16(2).

Vishwakarma K, Patel SK, Yadav K, Pandey A. Impact of premature rupture of membranes on maternal neonatal Health Central India. J Evid based Med Healthc. 2015;2(49):8505

Abdul R, Seema M, Singh BN. Maternal and foetal outcome in cases of pre-labour rupture of membranes.

Mohokar SA, Bava AK, Nandanwar YS. Analysis of maternal and perinatal outcome in cases of preterm premature rupture of membranes. Bombay Hospital J. 2015;57(3):285.

Lalwani A, Najam R. The Prospective study of the incidence, etiological factors and maternal outcome in pre-labour ruptured membranes (Term and Pre-term). Annal Int Med Dental Res. 2016;2(2):122-5.

Akter S, Akter R, Rashid M. Preterm Prelabour rupture of the membrane and feto- maternal out come: an observational study. J Bangladesh Coll Physic Surg. 2010 Jan 1;28(1):17.

Revathi V, Sowjanya R, Lavanya S. Maternal and perinatal outcome in premature rupture of membranes at term. IOSR-JDMS. 2015:14(4);12-5.

Anjana D, Reddi R. Premature rupture of membranes: a clinical study. Obstet Gynecol. 1996;46:63-76.

Shrestha SR, Sharma P. Fetal outcome of pre-labor rupture of membranes. Nepal J Obstet Gynecol. 2015;1(2):19-24.






Original Research Articles