DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.18203/2320-1770.ijrcog20163860
Published: 2016-12-14

Factors predicting success of trial of labour after caesarean in current scenario

Pooja S. Singh, Jaishree Bamaniya, Ami Shah

Abstract


Background: Cesarean deliveries have been on the rise in recent decades, and as a result the question of how to manage subsequent deliveries becomes ever more important. The National Institute for Health and Care Excellence, RCOG, American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, and National Institutes of Health are in consensus that planned VBAC is a clinically safe choice for the majority of women with a single previous lower segment caesarean delivery, the authors explain. Aim of the study was to identify potential predictors of successful VBAC and study the risk and benefits involved.

Methods: This was a prospective study in GCS Medical College. Seventy five cases were chosen fulfilling the eligibility criteria and were subjected to study.

Results: The outcome was measured as successful VBAC. Out of 75 cases included in our study, 43 cases (57.3% of total cases) qualified for TOLAC during labour. Successful TOL (trial of labor) was observed in 48.8 % (21 out of 43) resulting in VBAC (vaginal birth after caesarean) and the rest 51.2% of failed TOL ended in repeat caesarean delivery.

Conclusions: In our study, most of the women with successful VBAC were less than 30 years of age (95.2%). In our study, successful VBAC cases (90.5% of cases) presented with cervical dilatation more than equal to 4 cm and most cases (95.2%) of VBAC delivered before 38 weeks of gestation. Out of all VBAC’s, 62% (13 out of 21) had ante natal indication for their previous caesarean delivery; most common indication being breech. In our study, Repeat C.S. in failed TOL was performed for scar dehiscence in 41% cases.

Keywords


ERCD, RPCS, TOLAC, VBAC

Full Text:

PDF

References


Updated VBAC Guidelines Released. Medscape. Oct 05, 2015.

American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. ACOG Practice bulletin no. 115: Vaginal birth after previous cesarean delivery. Obstet Gynecol. 2010;116:450.

National Institutes of Health. National Institutes of Health Consensus Development Conference Statement vaginal birth after cesarean: new insights March 8-10, 2010. Semin Perinatol. 2010;34:351.

Practice Bulletin #115, Vaginal Birth after Previous Cesarean Delivery, August 2010 issue of Obstetrics and Gynecology.

Knight HE, Gurol-Urganci I, van der Meulen JH, Mahmood TA, Richmond DH, Dougall A, et al. Vaginal birth after caesarean section: a cohort study investigating factors associated with its uptake and success. BJOG: An International Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, 2013.

Durnwald C, Mercer B. Vaginal birth after cesarean delivery: Predicting success, risks of failure. J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med. 2004;15:388-93.

Predictive factors for vaginal birth after cesarean section. J Gynecol Obstet Biol Reprod (Paris). 2012;41(8):735-52.

Coassolo KM, Stamilio DM, Paré E, Peipert JF, Stevens E, Nelson DB, et al. Safety and efficacy of vaginal birth after cesarean attempts at or beyond 40 weeks of gestation. Obstet Gynecol. 2005;106:700-6.

Madaan M, Agrawal S, Nigam A, Aggarwal R, Trivedi SS. Trial of labour after previous caesarean section: the predictive factors affecting outcome. J Obstet Gynaecol. 2011;31(3):224-8.

Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (RCOG) Birth after previous caesarean birth. London (UK): Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (RCOG); (Green-top guideline; 45) 2007.

Cahill AG, Stamilio DM, Odibo AO, Peipert JF, Ratcliffe SJ, Stevens EJ. Is vaginal birth after cesarean (VBAC) or elective repeat cesarean safer in women with a prior vaginal delivery? Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2006;195:1143-7.

Smith GC, White IR, Pell JP, Dobbie R. Predicting cesarean section and uterine rupture among women attempting vaginal birth after prior cesarean section. PLoS Med. 2005;2(9):e252.

Landon MB, Hauth JC, Leveno KJ, Spong CY, Leindecker S, Varner MW. Maternal and perinatal outcomes associated with a trial of labor after prior cesarean delivery. N Engl J Med. 2004;351(25):2581-9.

Ball E, Hinshaw K. The current management of vaginal birth after previous cesarean delivery. The Obstetrian and Gynecologist. 2007;9:77-82.

Tan PC, Subramaniam RN, Omar SZ. Labor and perinatal outcome in women at term with one previous lower-segment Cesarean: A review of 1000 consecutive cases. ANZJ Obstet Gynaecol. 2007;47(1):31-6.

Studsgaard A, Skorstengaard M, Glavind J, Hvidman L, Uldbjerg N. Trial of labor compared to repeat cesarean section in women with no other risk factors than a prior cesarean delivery. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 2013.