DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.18203/2320-1770.ijrcog20183337

An Audit of primary ovarian pregnancy in a tertiary care hospital

Sairem Mangolnganbi Chanu, Biswajit Dey, Gourisankar Rudrapal, Subrat Panda, Vandana Raphael, Ahanthem Santa Singh

Abstract


Background: Ovarian pregnancy is uncommon form of ectopic pregnancy with increasing trend in its incidence. Various risk factors have been implicated like intrauterine contraceptive devices, fertility treatments, pelvic inflammatory disease (PID), and endometriosis.

Methods: This is a retrospective observational study done over a period of 10 years from January 2008 to December 2017.All the patients, who were diagnosed as primary ovarian pregnancy based on Spielberg’s criteria, were included in the study.

Results: There were 6 cases (6.3%) of primary ovarian pregnancy out of the 95 cases of ectopic pregnancies.  The age of the patients ranged from 28 years to 43 years with a mean age of 31.8 years. Amenorrhea and acute pain abdomen was present in all the patients. Laparotomy was done in all the cases. Excision of the sac with partial ovariectomy was done in 2 cases (33.3%).Oophorectomy with salpingectomy was done in the rest of the 4 cases (66.7%). Histopathological confirmation was done in all the cases.

Conclusions: Ovarian pregnancy is uncommon form of ectopic pregnancy with increasing trend in its incidence. Management of choice is laparoscopy. Laparotomy is done if there are signs of rupture.


Keywords


Chorionic villi, Laparoscopy, Ovariectomy, Pregnancy

Full Text:

PDF

References


Raziel A, Golan A, Pansky M, Ron-El R, Bukovsky I, Caspi E. Ovarian pregnancy: A report of twenty cases in one institution. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1990; 163:1182-5.

Goyal LD, Tondon R, Goel P, Sehgal A. Ovarian ectopic pregnancy: A 10 years’ experience and review of literature. Iran J Reprod Med. 2014;12:825-30.

Joseph RJ, Irvine LM. Ovarian ectopic pregnanacy: aetiology, diagnosis, and challenges in surgical management. J Obstet Gynaecol. 2012;32:472-4.

Spigelberg O. Casusistik der ovarialschwangerschaft. Arch Gynecol. 1878;13:73.

Sergent F, Mauger-Tinlot F, Gravier A, Verspyck E, Marpean L. Ovarian pregnancies: revaluation of diagnostic criteria. J Gynecol Obstet Biol Reprod. 2002;31:741-6.

Ramachandran A, Sharma S, Pratap K, Rajesh B, Akhila V, Ramayapally A, et al. Ovarian pregnancy following intracytoplasmic Sperm injection and embryo transfer: A case report. Case Rep Obstet Gynecol. 2012;2012:389107.

Ashrafganjoei T, Honer BN, Dafaee S. Thirteen -weeks ovarian pregnancy following in vitro fertilization for primary infertility treatment: A case report. Iran J Reprod Med. 2014;12:779-84.

Reichman J, Goldman JA, Feldberg D. Ovarian Pregnancy: Association with IUD, Pelvic pathology and recurrent abortion. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 1981;12:333-7.

Vahnu C, Rajlaxmi M, Raphael V. Primary ovarian pregnancy after interval tubal ligation: a case report. J Family Reprod Health 2013;7:187-8.

Davis MR. Recurrent ectopic pregnancy after tubal sterilization. Obstet Gynecol. 1986;68:44S-5S.

Wittich AC. Primary Ovarian Pregnancy after postpartum bilateral tubal ligation: a case report. J Reprod Med. 2004,49:759-61.

Hallatt JG. Primary ovarian pregnancy: a report of twenty-five cases. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1982;143:55-60.

Anand P, Nargotra N. Primary ovarian pregnancy: histopathology remains the key to confirming diagnosis setting. Int J Reprod Contracept Obstet Gynecol. 2017;6:1649-51.

Odejinmi F, Rizzuto MI, Macrae R, Olowu O, Hussain M. Diagnosis and laparoscopic management of 12 consecutive cases of ovarian pregnancy and review of literature. J Minim Invasive Gynecol. 2009;16:354-9.

Mittal S, Dadhwal V, Baurasi P. Successful medical management of ovarian Mittal S, Dadhwal V, Baurasi P. Successful medical management of ovarian pregnancy. Int J Gynecol Obstet. 2003;80:309-10.