DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.18203/2320-1770.ijrcog20182987

Knowledge attitude and practice of contraception among antenatal care patients

Radha Sangavi, Shivappa Hatnoor

Abstract


Background: Strategies have been engaged by different governments in improving these indices amongst which is the use of family planning. Hence; authors planned the present study to assess the knowledge, attitude and practice of contraception among antenatal care patients.

Methods: A total of 100 patients were enrolled in the present study. With the help of structured anonymous self-administered questionnaire, interviewing of the attendees of the antenatal clinic was done. The questionnaire was framed with aim of obtaining the clinical and demographic details of the subjects. All the data collecting interviews were conducted at the antenatal clinic. The participants were distributed a questionnaire and assistance given to any attendee with literal difficulty in filling the forms. The data obtained were collated in a purpose designed worksheet prepared for this study.

Results: 78 percent of the subjects were aware about contraception, while the remaining 22 percent of the subjects were unaware about contraception. Knowledge of subjects about barrier method of contraceptive was present in 78 subjects.

Conclusions: Antenatal women appear to have significant knowledge in relation to contraception.

 


Keywords


Antenatal, Attitude, Contraception, Knowledge

Full Text:

PDF

References


Chandna A, Nath J, Dhingra D. Awareness of emergency contraception among 1st year medical students. Int J Contemp Med Res. 2016;3(6):1568-70.

Bijeta, Nalini N. Medical method of second trimester abortion: mifepristone plus misoprostol vs misoprostol alone. Int J Contemp Med Res. 2017;4(12):4-6.

Maternal Mortality: Helping women off the road to death. Report of the inter-regional meetings on the prevention of maternal mortality. WHO chronicle, 1986;40(5):175-83.

Olatunji AD, Abudu, OO. A review of maternal mortality in LUTH. Nigerian Med Practitioner. 1996;31(2):2-6.

Ogedengbe OK, Giwa OF, Adeboye M, Lisi CA. The acceptability and role of norplant as a long acting contraceptive in Lagos, Nigeria. Trop J Obstet Gynaecol. 1997;14(1):28-32.

Khan T, Khan RE. Fertility behavior of women and their house hold characteristics-A case study of Punjab Pakistan. J Hum Ecol. 2010;30:11-7.

Jabeen M, Gul F, Wazir F, Javed N. Knowledge, attitude and practices of contraception in women of reproductive age. Gomal J Med Sci. 2011;9:223-9.

Ankomah A, Anyanti J, Adebayo S, Giwa A. Barriers to contraceptive use among married young adults in Nigeria: A qualitative study. Int J Trop Dis Health. 2013;3:267-82.

Rahman A, Rahman M, Zaman JA. Contraceptive practice among the married women of reproductive age in the garments factory. KYAMC J. 2013;3:282-9.

Busery S, Sisay M. Knowledge, attitude and practice of emergency contraceptives among graduating female students of college of health and medical sciences, Haramaya University, Eastern Ethiopia. Sch Acad J Pharm. 2016;5(12):413-20.

Utoo BT, Mutihir TJ, Utoo PM. Knowledge, attitude and practice of family planning methods among women attending antenatal clinic in Jos, North-central Nigeria. Niger J Med. 2010 Apr-Jun;19(2):214-8.

Olamijulo JA, Olorunfemi G. Knowledge and practice of contraception among pregnant women attending the antenatal clinic in Lagos University Teaching Hospital. Niger J Med. 2012 Oct-Dec;21(4):387-93.

Prasad D, Smita KS, Nisha S. Vitamin D in pregnancy and its correlation with feto maternal outcome. Int J Contemp Med Res. 2018;5(1):1-5.