DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.18203/2320-1770.ijrcog20190885

Morbidly adherent placenta: management is real challenge

Rupa C. Vyas, PrinceNrutik Amrut Patel, Sapana Shah, Shweta N. Vala, Nidhi B. Patel

Abstract


Background: The objective of the present study was to describe management of morbidly adherent placenta with placenta previa and feto-maternal outcome.

Methods: All antenatal USG diagnosed cases of morbidly adherent placenta were analyzed. The cases were managed by elective caesarean hysterectomy and non-separation of placenta at delivery. Amount of blood loss, blood transfused, ICU admission, postnatal complications and hospital stay was recorded.

Results: From January 2010 to October 2018, 22 cases of morbidly adherent placenta were diagnosed on gray scale and color Doppler during antenatal ultrasound scan. Scheduled caesarean hysterectomy without attempting placental removal was done. Subtotal hysterectomy was performed in 17(77.2%) cases and total hysterectomy in remaining 5(22.8%) cases. All the patients required blood transfusion.  Seven (31.8%) patients had urinary bladder injury. One case developed DIC and One needed ventilatory support. No patient died in this series.

Conclusions: Antenatal diagnosed cases of morbidly adherent placenta, avoidance of placental separation and caesarean hysterectomy results in better maternal outcome.


Keywords


Caesarean hysterectomy, Feto-maternal outcome, Morbidly adherent placenta

Full Text:

PDF

References


Wh TE. Ultrasonographical features of morbidly adherent placentas. Singapore Med J. 2007;48(9):799-802.

ACOG committee on obstetric practice. ACOG committee opinion. Number 266, 2002; Placenta accreta. Obstet Gynecol. 2002; 99(1):169-70.

Morken NH, Henriksen H. Placenta percreta two cases and review of the literature. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2001;100(1):112-15.

Wu S, Kocherginsky M, Hibbard JU. Abnormal placentation: twenty-year analysis. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2005;192(5):1458-61.

Clark SL, Koonings PP, Phelan JP. Placenta praevia/accreta and prior cesarean section. Obstet Gynecol. 1985:66(1):89-92.

Usta IM, Hobeika EM, Musa AA, Gabriel GE, Nassar AH. Placenta praevia-accreta: risk factors and complications. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2005;193(3 Pt 2):1045-49.

Placenta Praevia, Placenta Praevia Accreta and Vasa Praevia: Diagnosis and Management. RCOG Green-top guideline No 27, 2011:1-26.

Finberg HJ, Williams JW. Placenta accreta: Prospective sonographic diagnosis in patients with placenta praevia and prior caesarean section. J Ultrasound Med. 1992;11(7):333-43.

Comstock CH, Love JJ Jr, Bronsteen RA, Lee W, Vettraino IM, Huang RR, Lorenz RP. Sonographic detection of placenta accreta in the second and third trimesters of pregnancy. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2004;190(4):1135-40.

Wong HS, Cheung YK, Strand L, Carryer P, Parker S, Tait J et al. Specific sonographic features of placenta accreta: tissue interface disruption on gray-scale imaging and evidence of vessels crossing interface-disruption sites on Doppler imaging. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol. 2007;29(2):239-40.

Tam Tam KB, Dozier J, Martin JR JN. Approaches to reduce urinary tract injury during management of placenta accreta, increta and percreta. J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med. 2012; 25(4):329-34.

Lisa Allen, Eric Jauniaux, Sebastian Hobson, Jessica Papillon‐Smith, Michael A. Belfort FIGO consensus guidelines on placenta accreta spectrum disorders: Nonconservative surgical management. Int J Gynecol Obstet. 2018;140:281-90.

Walker MG, Allen L, Windrim RC, Kachura J, Pollard L, Pantazi S, et al. Multidisciplinary management of invasive placenta praevia. J Obstet Gynaecol Can. 2013;35(5):417-425.

Palacios-Jaraquemada JM, Bruno CH, Clavelli WA. Morbid adherent placenta: prediction, diagnosis and management. Fetal Matern Med Rev. 2007;18(4):357-81

Yap YY, Perrin LC, Pain SR, Wong SF, Chan FY. Manual removal of suspected placenta accreta at caesarean hysterectomy. Int J Gynecol Obstet. 2008;100(2):186-87.

Esakoff TF, Handler SJ, Granados JM, Caughey AB. Placenta accrete management across the united states. J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med. 2012;25(6):761-5.

Ojala K, Perala J, Kariniemi J, Ranta P, Raudaskoski T, Tekay A. Arterial embolization and prophylactic catheterization for the treatment for severe obstetric haemorrhage. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 2005; 84(11):1075-80.

Arulkumaran S, Ng CS, Ingemarsson I, Ratnam SS. Medical treatment of placenta accreta with methotrexate. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 1986; 65(3):285-86.

Hays E, Ayida G, Crocker A. The morbidly adherent placenta: diagnosis and management option Curr Opin Obstet Gynecol. 2011;23(6):448-53.

Eller AG, Porter TF, Soisson P, Silver RM. Optimal management strategies for placenta accreta. Br J Obstet Gynecol 2009 Apr; 116(5): 648-54.

Riggs JC, Jahshan A, Schiavello HJ. Alternative conservative management of placenta accreta. A case reports. J Reprod Med. 2000;45(7):595-8.