DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.18203/2320-1770.ijrcog20190978

Maternal and perinatal outcome in placenta previa: an observational study at a tertiary care hospital in Mysore, Karnataka, India

Maunica Reddy Sorakayalapeta, Nandish S. Manoli

Abstract


Background: 2-5% of the pregnancies are complicated by antepartum haemorrhage. About one third of them are due to placenta previa thus contributing to a significant amount of maternal and perinatal morbidity and mortality. In the present times with liberally increasing caesarean section rates, there is a changing trend in the incidence and complications of placenta previa. The objective of this study was to evaluate the obstetrical characteristics and maternal and perinatal outcome of cases of placenta previa.

Methods: This was a prospective observational study conducted in the Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology of JSS Medical College and Hospital, Mysore during the period January 2017 to June 2018.

Results: Out of total 13,150 deliveries during this period, placenta previa was observed in 131 cases with an incidence of 1%. Majority belonged to the age group 25-29 years (48.8%). 66% of the cases presented with painless vaginal bleeding as their chief complaint. The major risk factor was previous caesarean delivery seen in 29.8% cases followed by history of abortion in 18.3%. 67% cases had major degree placenta previa. Remaining 33% cases had minor degree. One case was complicated by placenta accrete. Peripartum hysterectomy was performed in 3.1%. Preterm deliveries amounted to 29.8%. Maternal and perinatal mortality were 0.76% and 3.05% respectively. 10.7% cases had Postpartum haemorrhage and 3.8% required ICU admission. 25% neonates required NICU admissions and 10% had RDS.

Conclusions: Placenta previa is a prime contributor to substantial maternal and perinatal morbidity and mortality. Early referral to tertiary care centres, anticipation of clinical complications and appropriate measures can avoid grave consequences. Such cases must always be managed at a higher centre with good NICU services and round the clock operation theatre and blood bank facility.


Keywords


Perinatal mortality, Placenta previa, Postpartum haemorrhage

Full Text:

PDF

References


Oppenheimer L, Society of obstetricians and gynaecologists of Canada, Diagnosis and management of placenta previa. J Obstet Gynaecol Canada.2007;29(3):261-6.

Gupta B, Misra R. Antepartum haemorrhage. In. Renu Misra. (ed.) Ian Donald’s Practical Obstetric problems. Seventh edition; 2014.p.315.

Sinha P, Kuruba N.Antepartum haemorrhage: an update. J Obstet Gynecol.2008;28(4):377-81.

Kollmann M, Gaulhofer J, Lang U, Klaritsch P. Placenta praevia: incidence, risk factors and outcome. J Maternal-Fetal Neonat Med. 2016;29(9):1395-8.

Sarojini, Malini KV, Radhika. Clinical study of placenta previa and its effect on maternal health and fetal outcome. Int J Reproduct, Contracep, Obstet, Gynecol. 2016;5(10):3496-9.

Meenakshi Devarmani, Patil Sanjana Tallur. Placenta previa: Maternal and foetal outcome. J Evol Med Dental Sci. 2016;5(40):2477-80.

Rajeshwari RR, Rubini M. Maternal and perinatal outcome in placenta previa: one-year study in tertiary care center in Tamil Nadu, India. Int J Reproduct, Contracep, Obstet Gynecol. 2016;5(8):2819-22.

Kurude VN, Saha D. Study of maternal and perinatal outcome in placenta praevia at tertiary care center. Indian J Res.2016;6(3):44-5.

Sekiguchi A, Nakai A, Kawabata I, Hayashi M, Takeshita T. Type and Location of Placenta Previa Affect Preterm Delivery Risk Related to Antepartum Hemorrhage. Int J Med Sci.2013;10(12):1683-8.

Nirmala CH, Mounisha NV. Placenta Praevia- A Study On Maternal and Perinatal outcome. IOSR Journal of Dental and Medical Sciences (IOSR-JDMS).2017;04(7):4-7.

Zlatnik MG, Cheng YW, Norton ME, Thiet MP, Caughey AB. Placenta previa and the risk of preterm delivery. J Maternal-Fetal Neonat Med. 2007;20(10):719-23.

Meenakshi Devarmani, Patil Sanjana Tallur. Placenta previa: Maternal and foetal outcome. J Evol Med Dent Sci. 2016;5(40):2477-80.

Lavanyakumari S, Arunajyothi C. A Study On maternal and Perinatal Outcome in Placenta Previa. Scholars J App Medi Sci. 2014;2(5A):1555-8.