Ectopic pregnancy: a life threatening gynaecological emergency
Keywords:Ectopic pregnancy, Emergency, Methotrexate, Pain abdomen
Background: Ectopic pregnancy is a life-threatening gynecological emergency, and a significant cause of maternal morbidity and mortality.
Methods: This is a retrospective study of ectopic pregnancies managed at M. S. Ramaiah Medical College and Hospital, Bangalore, India over a period of 1 year from March 2015 to March 2016. The medical records of the patients managed for ectopic pregnancy during the period, under review were retrieved and data were collected from registers. There were 30 cases of ectopic pregnancies over one year.
Results: Ectopic pregnancy constituted 3% of all gynecological admissions, and its incidence was 2.5%. The mean age of the patients was 26 ± 2 years, 21 of 30 (70%) had ruptured ectopic pregnancies, and the remaining nine (30%) were unruptured. The commonest (20 of 30, 66.6%) clinical presentation was abdominal pain, and the commonest (9 of 30, 30%) identified risk factor was a previous history of induced abortion.
Conclusions: Ectopic pregnancy is a recognized cause of maternal morbidity and mortality and has remained a reproductive health challenge to manage.
Walker JJ. Ectopic pregnancy. Clin Obstet Gynecol 2007;50:89-99.
Della-Giustina D, Denny M. Ectopic pregnancy. Emerg Med Clin North Am. 2003;21:565-84.
Varma R, Gupta J. Tubal ectopic pregnancy. Clin Evid. 2009:pii:1406.
Shaw JL, Dey SK, Critchley HO. Current knowledge of the aetiology of human tubal ectopic pregnancy. Hum Reprod Update. 2010;16:432-44.
Horne AW, Duncan WC, Critchley HO. The need for serum biomarker development for diagnosing and excluding tubal ectopic pregnancy. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 2010;89:299-301.
Farquhar CM. Ectopic pregnancy. Lancet. 2005;366:583-91.
Bouyer J, Coste J, Fernandez H, Pouly JL, Job-Spira N. Site of ectopic pregnancy: a 10 year population-based study of 1800 cases. Hum Reprod. 2002;17:3224-30.
American College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists .ACOG practice bulletin no.94.Medical management of ectopic pregnancy. Obstet and Gynaecol. 2009;111:1479-85.
Valsky DV, Yagel S. Ectopic pregnancy of unusual location: Management dilemmas. Ultrasound Obstet and Gynecol. 2008;31:245-51.
Hasan R, Baird DD, Herring AH. Patterns and predictors of vaginal bleeding in the first trimester of pregnancy. Ann Epidemiol. 2010;20:524-31.
Weckstein LN, Boucher AR, Tucker H. Accurate diagnosis of early ectopic pregnancy. Obstet Gynecol. 1985;65:393-7.