A clinical study of association of genital tuberculosis with infertility in a tertiary centre of Jharkhand, India


  • Samarina Kamal Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Alam Hospital and Research Centre Pvt. Ltd., Booty Raod Bariatu, Ranchi Jharkhand, India
  • Vandita Singh Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Sadar Hospital, Ranchi, Jharkhand, India
  • Shashibala Singh Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, RIMS, Ranchi, Jharkhand, India




Genital tuberculosis, Granuloma, Hysterolaparoscopy, Infertility, Paucibacillary, Polymerase chain reaction, Tubercles


Background: The worldwide incidence of GTB is approximately 5- 10% in infertile women. It varies from as low as 0.69% in some developed countries to as high as 19% in India. It is diagnosed by culture of the tubercle bacillus from tissue sampled from the genital tract is the yardstick for diagnosis and remains the gold standard.

Methods: A prospective study was carried out between January 2012 and January 2015 on 100 women presenting with infertility.

Results: A total (27%) women were diagnosed as genital tuberculosis by combination of hystero laparoscopic findings, histopathological and endometrial DNA-PCR technique confirmation. Of these (40.62%) had secondary infertility and remaining (59.38%) had primary infertility. (15.62%) were previously diagnosed with pulmonary or extra pulmonary tuberculosis and had completed a full course of Anti-tubercular treatment as per WHO CAT 1 regime.

Conclusions: Therefore, in countries where TB is endemic, early and aggressive strategies should be pursued to diagnose and treat TB.


Muir DG, Belsey MA. Pelvic inflammatory disease and its consequences in the developing world. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1980;138:913-28.

Schaefer G. Female genital tuberculosis. Clin Obstet Gynecol. 1976;19:223-39.

Aka N, Vural TZE. Evaluation of patients of active pulmonary tuberculosis for genital involvement. J Obstet Gynecol Res. 1997;23:337-40.

Varma TR. Genital tuberculosis and subsequent fertility. Int J Gynecol Obstet. 1991;35:1-11.

Novak and Woodruff. Novak’s gynecological and obstetrical pathology, 6th Edition; 2007:1988.

Arora R, Rathore A. Female genital tract tuberculosis. In: Arora VK, Arora R.(eds) Practical Approach to Tuberculosis Management, 1st edition. Delhi: Jaypee; 2006:113-119.

Bose M. Female genital tract tuberculosis: How long will it elude diagnosis? Indian J Med Res. 2011;134(1):13-4.

Bazaz Malik G, Maheshwari B, Lal N. Tuberculous endometritis: a clinicopathological study of 1000 cases. Br J Obstet Gynecol. 1983;90:84.

Bhanu NV, Singh UB, Chakraborty M. Improved diagnostic value of PCR in diagnosis of female genital tuberculosis leading to infertility. J Med Microbiol. 2005;54:927-31.

Jassawalla MJ. Genital tuberculosis: a diagnostic dilemma. J Obstet Gynecol India. 2006;56:203-4.

Jindal UN. An algorithmic approach to female genital tuberculosis causing infertility. Int J Tuber Lung Dis. 2006;10:1045-50.

Arora R, Rajaram P, Oumachigui A, Arora VK. Prospective analysis of short course chemotherapy in female genital tuberculosis. Int J Obstet Gynecol. 1992;38:311-4.

Rozati R, Roopa S, Rajeshwari CN. Evaluation of women with infertility and genital tuberculosis. J Obstet Gynecol India. 2006;56:423-6.

Gupta N, Sharma JB, Mittal s, Singh S, Mishra R, Kukreja M. Genital tuberculosis in infertility patients. Int J Gynecol Obstet. 2007;97:135-8.

Kulshrestha V, Kriplani A, Agarwal N, Singh UB, Rana T. Genital tuberculosis among infertile women and fertility outcome after antitubercular therapy. Int J Gynecol Obstet. 2011;113(3):229-34.

Schaefer G. Female genital tuberculosis. Clin Obstet Gynecol. 1976;19:223-39.

Bapna N, Mohanlal S, Namita K. Genital tuberculosis and its consequences on subsequent fertility. J Obstet Gynecol India. 2005;55(6):534-7.

Sin SY. Female genital tuberculosis. An update. Hong Kong Practioner. 1995;17(1):18-25.

Tripathy SN. Infertility and pregnancy outcome in female genital tuberculosis. Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2002;76:159-63.

Puri S, Bhavana B. Diagnostic value of PCR in female genital TB and its therapeutic implications. J Obstet Gynecol India. 2009;59(1):67-70.






Original Research Articles