Laparoscopic evaluation and prevalence of endometriosis among infertile women: a prospective study


  • Sana Sharfuddin Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Sikkim Manipal Institute of Medical Sciences Gangtok, Sikkim, India
  • Nazar Imam Department of Surgery, Sikkim Manipal Institute of Medical Sciences Gangtok, Sikkim, India
  • Anup Pradhan Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Sikkim Manipal Institute of Medical Sciences Gangtok, Sikkim, India



Endometriosis, Infertility, Laparoscopic interventions, Successful pregnancy


Background: Endometriosis can be defined as presence of endometrial mucosa outside the uterine cavity. There are no specific signs and symptoms of endometriosis and the presentation may vary depending upon the site of involvement. It is one of the common causes of subfertility and infertility in young women. The Management of endometriosis may include medical as well as surgical intervention. Laparoscopic interventions have found to have encouraging results in terms of increasing chances of fertility in young women with endometriosis.

Methods: This was a prospective study in which women who had infertility and subsequently diagnosed to be having endometriosis were included. A detailed history was taken with particular emphasis on duration of symptoms, presence of additional co-morbidities and duration of infertility was recorded. Diagnostic laparoscopy was done in all the cases. Depending upon location and severity of endometriosis adhesiolysis, excision and ablation of endometrial lesions was done. Patients were followed up and successful pregnancies (spontaneous as well as secondary to assisted reproductive techniques) were recorded.

Results: Out of 200 studied cases endometriosis was seen in 23 (11.5%) patients. the most common affected age group was between 26-30 years (47.83%). 18 patients (78.26%) had primary infertility whereas remaining 5 patients (21.74%) were found to have secondary infertility. The most common site was found to be ovaries which was found to be involved in all the cases. cystectomy (30.43%), endometrioma drainage and fulguration (13.04%) or adhesiolysis (34.78%) were the commonly done surgical interventions in cases. out of 18 patients who had successful ovulation following laparoscopic intervention 12 (66.66%) patients completed their pregnancies successfully.

Conclusions: Laparoscopic interventions in patients with infertility have diagnostic as well as therapeutic value and are found to have good outcome in terms of successful pregnancy.


Parasar P, Ozcan P, Terry KL. Endometriosis: Epidemiology, Diagnosis and Clinical Management. Curr Obstet Gynecol Rep. 2017;6(1):34-41.

Alimi Y, Iwanaga J, Loukas M, Tubbs RS. The clinical anatomy of endometriosis: a review. Cureus. 2018;10(9):e3361.

Laghzaoui O, Laghzaoui M. Nasal endometriosis: apropos of 1 case. J Gynecol Obstet Biol Reprod (Paris). 2001;30(8):786-8.

Peterson CM, Johnstone EB, Hammoud AO. Risk factors associated with endometriosis: importance of study population for characterizing disease in the ENDO study. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2013;208(6):451.e1-11.

Shah PR, Adlakha A. Laparoscopic management of moderate: severe endometriosis. J Minim Access Surg. 2014;10(1):27-33.

Adamson D. Surgical management of endometriosis. Semin Reprod Med. 2003;21(2):223-34.

Foti PV, Farina R, Palmucci S, Vizzini IA, Libertini N, Coronella M, et al. Endometriosis: clinical features, MR imaging findings and pathologic correlation. Insights Imag. 2018;9(2):149-72.

Mettler L, Schollmeyer T, Lehmann-Willenbrock E, Schüppler U, Schmutzler A, Shukla D, et al. Accuracy of laparoscopic diagnosis of endometriosis. JSLS. 2003;7(1):15-8.

Moradi M, Parker M, Sneddon A, Lopez V, Ellwood D. Impact of endometriosis on women's lives: a qualitative study. BMC Womens Health. 2014;14:123.

Valson H, Kulkarni C, Teli B, Nazer T. Study of endometriosis in women of reproductive age, laparoscopic management and its outcome. Int J Reprod Contracept Obstet Gynecol. 2016;5:514-9.

Macer ML, Taylor HS. Endometriosis and infertility: a review of the pathogenesis and treatment of endometriosis-associated infertility. Obstet Gynecol Clin North Am. 2012;39(4):535-49.

Prescott J, Farland LV, Tobias DK, Gaskins AJ, Spiegelman D, Chavarro JE, et al. A prospective cohort study of endometriosis and subsequent risk of infertility. Hum Reprod. 2016;31(7):1475-82.

Duffy JM, Arambage K, Correa FJ, Olive D, Farquhar C, Garry R, et al. Laparoscopic surgery for endometriosis. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2014;(4):CD011031.

Rizk B, Fischer AS, Lotfy HA, Turki R, Zahed HA, Malik R, et al. Recurrence of endometriosis after hysterectomy. Facts Views Vis Obgyn. 2014;6(4):219-27.

Lee HJ, Lee JE, Ku SY, Kim SH, Kim JG, Moon SY, et al. Natural conception rate following laparoscopic surgery in infertile women with endometriosis. Clin Exp Reprod Med. 2013;40(1):29-32.






Original Research Articles